The Libya Herald reports: Ansar Al-Sharia, the militant group believed to be behind Tuesday’s fatal attacks on the US consulate in Benghazi, is to be disbanded, by force if necessary, a reliable source close to Prime Minister-elect Mustafa Abushagur has told the Libya Herald.
“We are negotiating to dismantle it,” the source said. “We don’t want bloodshed but if they do not agree we will have to use force.”
This morning, the group’s Benghazi headquarters are closed and there is no visible sign of activity.
The army had previously put out its own statement saying the group was to be disbanded, but this was subsequently removed. The announcement had been posted on the army’s Facebook page, and it is suspected the move was deemed premature given no official word has been given from the government on the matter.
Yesterday, officials said that four men had been arrested in Benghazi in connection with the murders, all of them reportedly members of Ansar Al-Sharia. [Continue reading…]