The Washington Post reports: The death toll from Europe’s refugee crisis surged higher Friday after Austrian authorities raised the count of bodies found in an abandoned truck to more than 70, even as corpses were being plucked from the sea off the coast of Libya after a boat sank, killing as many as 200.
After an extraordinarily deadly 24-hour period, two crime scenes, more than 2,000 miles apart, were unfolding Friday. Austrian officials announced that three suspects were taken into custody in Hungary in connection with the decomposing bodies found in the back of a truck parked on the side of the main highway between Vienna and Budapest on Thursday.
Those arrested included an unnamed Bulgarian national believed to be the truck’s owner. Another Bulgarian citizen and a third man with a Hungarian identity card were also taken into custody. Initially, seven suspects had been detained for questioning, but all but three were released, said Hans-Peter Doskozil, the police chief in the eastern Austrian province of Burgenland. Austria, he said, was working with Hungary to seek their extradition. [Continue reading…]