“There’s a strong likelihood that Mubarak may step down in Eqypt tonight,” CIA Director Leon Panetta told a House Intelligence panel today.
The CIA later clarified that Panetta’s statement was not based on intelligence but on news reports.
And there you have it. This is how the US government and legislators stay abreast of world-changing events: by watching Al Jazeera.
How significant will Mubarak’s departure be, assuming that it shortly comes?
The Supreme Council of Egyptian Armed Forces has issued its communique #1. Does that mean Egypt will shortly be under military control?
“Ambiguous” statement from military confirms its “commitment and responsibility to safeguard the people and to protect the interests of the nation, and its duty to protect the riches and assets of the people and of Egypt”. Mentioned the demands of the people are “lawful and legitimate”. Understood the military council met separately from Mubarak.
- The CIA’s rogue operations
- CIA Kabul chief used ‘ghost money’ to bypass U.S. ambassador creating secret channel to Karzai
- The CIA is the biggest source of corruption in Afghanistan
- Video: Obama’s promotion of a promoter of torture and failure to close Guantanamo
- CIA ramps up role in Iraq — here come the death squads?