On September 16, 2001, Dick Cheney warned that in order to deal with the terrorism threat: “We have to work the dark side, if you will. Spend time in the shadows of the intelligence world.” It was as though the CIA was being directed to venture into unfamiliar territory.
An ABC News report broadcast in 1979 detailing secret CIA programs conducting experiments on unwitting human subjects, testing the effects of LSD and other methods of mind control, serves however as a useful reminder that the agency has a long history of working the dark side.
- The CIA’s rogue operations
- CIA Kabul chief used ‘ghost money’ to bypass U.S. ambassador creating secret channel to Karzai
- The CIA is the biggest source of corruption in Afghanistan
- Video: Obama’s promotion of a promoter of torture and failure to close Guantanamo
- CIA ramps up role in Iraq — here come the death squads?