The Los Angeles Times reports: The Syrian government agreed Sunday to allow United Nations inspectors to visit the sites of suspected chemical-weapon attacks outside Damascus, the official Syrian news agency said.
Syrian officials and the U.N. “have agreed to a mutual understanding that enters into force immediately allowing the U.N. inspection team to investigate” the sites of the recent alleged attacks, the state media outlet said in a statement.
The reported accord comes as U.S. officials were said to be preparing for a possible military strike on Syria in retaliation for the government’s alleged use of chemical weapons. President Obama met with his top security advisers this weekend about the Syria crisis.
A 20-member contingent of U.N. inspectors is already on the ground in Damascus, but the team’s official mandate was limited to looking into three previous allegations of chemical weapons use in Syria. Sunday’s agreement would seem to open the way for the experts to visit several areas near the capital where chemical weapons allegedly struck last week.