Jihadology: Charles Lister comes back on the show for an in-depth discussion on jihadism in Syria. Some of the topics covered include:
- Islamism and jihadism in Syria prior to the 2011 uprising
- The entrance and evolution of Jabhat al-Nusra, Ahrar al-Sham, and Jaysh al-Islam into what became the Syrian war
- Why foreign fighters came into the Syrian conflict
- Why the Islamic State of Iraq decided to enter the war in April 2013 and what it was up to prior to the fitness in January 2014
- What the growth of ISIS and later IS meant for the other extreme factions – JN, Ahrar, and JI
Click here to listen to this one-hour podcast.